Why I don't blog fashion + 5 trends I dislike

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Image from Pexels

As you may be noticed, I’ve barely ever written about fashion in the last 5 years that I’ve kept this blog. This doesn’t mean I’m not keen on shopping for clothes or dressing nicely. The main reason why I don’t like to write about this topic is because in this “millennial” era, there are too many style varieties and the trends seem to last less than a year. I, on the other hand, am more fond of purchasing timeless/classic pieces. Hence, I don’t see the point in posting about what I wear if it doesn’t change much.

If I had to describe my style, I'd say I mainly dress with neutral colors: whites, blacks and earthy tones. I prefer clean cuts and avoid crazy patterns (except for a few summer blouses). I'm the type that likes to invest on certain items --such as coats and jeans-- but looks for other items in a bargain. And I firmly believe that less is more when it comes to fashion, which is why I don't do too much layering or combine too many colors. 

Here are the five trends I haven't gotten into/didn't understand:

  1. Plastic/rubber material for shoes: these will cause sweaty feet, ew, and no I do not care if Kim K is wearing them, celebrities slay everything 
  2. Flat and thick platforms/wedges: being so flat they will make your feet hurt, plus they look somewhat grotesque 
  3. Overall long dresses: maybe this is just personal, but since I’m short, this would look plain odd on me
  4. Unnecessary layering: can someone kindly explain this? I ran out of words
  5. Fishnet tights: they hold no purpose, other than being an uncomfortable accessory


All products are from Forever 21

I get that millennials want to stand out. Even though according to my age, I’d be included in this social group, there are many things I don’t really share with them. Perhaps it is because I’ve been living in Peru for the past 8 years and the reality here is quite different than in a first world country (if I would have stayed in Florida, I might have had a different mindset, who knows?).

I comprehend that fashion is a form of self-expressing that, in one way or another, transmits a social context. Technology is now part of our everyday lives, our generation has had much more opportunities and freedom of speech than that of our parents/grandparents. But I don’t see how that justifies dressing so extravagantly.

It’s just my opinion and it’s totally okay if you don’t agree. ‘Til next time!

Post a Comment

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.