On the word hunt

Friday, August 2, 2013

Fernweh.

I randomly came across a post on Tumblr, with the following source. It was interesting because it's a set of 20 words in different foreign languages that describe something in particular. They basically have no exact translation to the English language, or Spanish for that matter. Anyway, my point is, last year I made a post, you can read it here. In that post, I briefly talked about that nostalgic feeling for places I've never been to. What's interesting is that the word fernweh, which is in German, means literally that. It's not the same as wanderlust, which means a strong desire to travel. Fern means afar and weh signifies pain. So it basically means a longing for the places you haven't been to yet. It's a weird feeling and I think I have experienced it several times. At first I confused it with nostalgia because I thought I was low-spirited for leaving Miami. But I soon realized that deep inside, I didn't want to go back there. I wanted to go to the places I would've liked to visit, that's when I thought it was simply wanderlust. But how can you explain the sadness? It's this word, fernweh fits me perfectly. I'm not proud of feeling this way, it's not so cheerful if you know what I mean. However, I guess there must be a reason, maybe one day I'll get to travel and visit the places I yearn so much to see.


1 comment

  1. Love this. Thanks for sharing! Xo, M&K at brewedtogether.com

    ReplyDelete

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.