Reread: Twilight

Sunday, September 24, 2017

la luna vita blog

I cannot emphasize enough how rereading Twilight automatically took me back to 8th grade, making me feel like a teenager again. Now after being done with it, I'm seriously considering rereading the rest of the books. But for the time being, the only saga I'll be focusing on is Harry Potter.

It's not the same reading a romance/fantasy novel when you're fifteen than when you're twenty-four. There are plenty of stuff from the ‘adult’ world that one ignores while being younger, falling easily in love with the characters. Around the time the Twilight film was released, there were a bunch of graphics circling the internet, stating that Edward Cullen had raised the standards for future boyfriends. Well, this book simply raises the standards for any relationship.

It's not like I don't believe in romance. I've actually been in a relationship for the past three years, so perhaps there are a few things that I've learned along the way. Firstly, it doesn't matter how much someone attracts you, in real life no one will take such intrepid risks after knowing you for such a brief period of time. Bella and Edward literally had only two dates to get to know each other, plus a few days sharing a table at lunch. The love represented in the novel is highly unrealistic and kind of toxic if you reflect upon it.

Not to mention the way time lapses in the novel. At first, time progresses at an average speed. But after the Saturday that Bella and Edward spend together in the forest, everything happens too fast. She meets his family momentarily and then has to run away and save her life. I feel like Meyer could have filled us in better on the Cullen's before the two protagonists declared their love to one another. I know that either way we get to know the characters better in the rest of the books, but in my opinion there's a gap that could've been filled before Bella flies to Phoenix.

Nevertheless, it was entertaining to grasp the small details I had forgotten and that were overlooked in the film.

Post a Comment

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.