Review: Only Love Is Real

Sunday, October 1, 2017


Today I’ll be sharing my thoughts on “Only love is real” by Brian L. Weiss. This is not the type of book I’d purchase, it was actually a gift. I tend to read mostly novels, though I’m trying to change that. Other types of books, such as memoirs, usually bore me (I confess I never finished Eat Pray Love). But since this one was a short read, I decided to give it a try. And I’m glad I did.

Before going more in-depth, the book covers spiritual topics such as reincarnation. So if you are strongly against it, feel free to skip this post. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, but there is no need to generate a fuss.

First off, a little background on the author. Brian L. Weiss is an american psychiatrist and hypnotherapist that has made many appearances on TV, including The Oprah Winfrey Show. I kept my mind open while reading this book. I had previously heard about sessions were the person being hypnotized shared some details of their previous life -- such as name, year, geographic location-- and afterwards they’d look up the information to find it did match old records.

The plot focuses on how two of Weiss’ patients were soulmates. They had shared more than one life in the past, but due to awful circumstances (such as wars and diseases) they had been separated every time. In today’s date (or life), these two people did not know each other, they would go to their appointments on different days. Hence, Weiss was stuck in a complicated situation. As a psychiatrist, the ethical code states that he cannot interfere in the patients’ lives and introducing them would be --more or less-- an interference. In the end, thanks to external events (or destiny) they end up meeting in a flight. And as expected, they have instant chemistry.

But the message the author tries to get across is not really how these two lucky soulmates encounter, it goes beyond that. We as humans by default have a soul. I found it interesting that according to this author and the research he’s done, most souls occupy the body in the moment of birth, not before. A soulmate does not necessarily imply a romantic relationship, but rather a strong spiritual connection. Someone’s soulmate could be their mother, who perhaps in a previous life was their daughter (which was the case with Joan Rivers when he visited her on her show).

Some people carry their frustrations from previous lives to the present day, such as phobias or unexplained physical pain. We all come to this life for a purpose and exit the body learning a lesson. Some lives are smoother while others are on a rougher path. Our bodies are like cars but our souls are the driver. The cars can change brand, model and size, but the driver will always remain the same.

All in all, I give this book a 4/5. I know I tend to be a bit generous with the ratings, but I found this book very eye-opening. The only thing I would have liked is to find more information on other patients and learn who the 'masters' were. But I guess he explains that in the rest of his books. If you're looking for a spiritual read, then this book is for you.

´Til next time! 

Post a Comment

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.