Just listen

Thursday, October 31, 2013


This is the fourth Sarah Dessen novel I've read. I truly enjoyed it. The last one I read was "Along for the ride". I postponed "Just listen" mainly because of my lack of spare time (the usual). But somehow, I achieved it, I finished it two days ago. First, I want to point out that Sarah's novels usually follow a pattern: a teenage girl undergoes some sort of trouble, usually pertaining to family, and she meets a guy or someone that makes her view things differently. Maybe I'm judging too quickly, "Dreamland" did not exactly follow this pattern. But that's how the story goes in most cases. So now maybe you're asking yourself, if it's the same plot more or less, why bother reading another one of her novels? Well, because each main character is different and the rest of the characters add a lot of richness to the story.  


I recommend this novel, it transmits a message about the importance of honesty.I think most young girls would find it interesting. This is the plot summary: Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything" — at least that's the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf's Department Store. This year, she's the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling. With Owen's help, maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends. 

To close up, I'd just like to share one of my favorite quotes: 

"There comes a time when the world gets quite and the only thing left is your own heart. So you'd better learn the sound of it. Otherwise you'll never understand what it's saying."

P.S. Happy Halloween.

Post a Comment

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.