Disconnect to connect

Monday, June 15, 2015

Balconies in Monaco - Trip to Europe Aug. '14
Haven't you ever felt the need to get away from all these technological devices that surround us in our everyday lives? I know I have. Internet users have an average of 5 social media accounts. It's pretty crazy considering that ten years ago people were content using emails and MySpace on a PC. Now it's become a must-have and the access has never been easier-- our smartphones. But if you think about it, is it really necessary?

I've been having thoughts lately about the way I use my social networks. Last semester, in the class of Communication Practices, we saw a topic about the "kidnapping of the experience". The author, Anthony Giddens, discussed how in today's society everything has become superficial and that the immediate access to information affects our daily activities. For example, on many occasions, I've seen people more concerned about taking the perfect selfie or picture of their dinner plate, than actually enjoying the moment. Afterwards they're hardly interacting, their eyes glued to the screen of their phones. If they don't share it, they're not living it.

That's what the author refers to, your experience figuratively gets kidnapped by social media. I know it sounds odd, but is it not true? After reading about this topic, I decided that I didn't want to be like these people. If I'm traveling somewhere new, I want to get to know the place --not show it off on Instagram. That doesn't mean that I won't take pictures or that I won't post it. It just means that I'll enjoy the moment first before sharing it with everyone else.

Less posting, more living. 

Post a Comment

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.