Book Review: The Girl On The Train

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

La Luna Vita Blog
I had purchased "The Girl On the Train" several months ago, I wanted to know what the bustle was all about. Truthfully, when I first starting reading it, I found it quite boring --to the point that I stopped completely. Weeks passed, and the book was still sitting on my night stand. However, I couldn't just leave a book unread. Good or bad, I like to read either way. I decided to give it another chance and it was worth it.

Don't worry, if you haven't read it or seen the movie, there won't be any spoilers ahead. My reviews are always general. I'm afraid the movie might turn out to be rather disappointing, as it usually happens when novels become films. It's the first mystery/thriller novel I read, I tend to go more for drama. First off, the book is not divided by chapters, it's separated by narratives of three main characters, each with different dates so you can follow the timeline. Reading about the incidents from different perspectives was very enriching and helpful in order to put the pieces together. Around page 60 is when things start getting interesting -- at least for me.


Now, I'm a sucker for murder investigation movies and TV shows, that's why I ended up enjoying this book so much. And because of this (after seeing so many murder cases -- real and fiction), I did not find the ending as unpredictable. The killer is always the person that has been in front of you all along, it's who you least expect. But analyzing it from a psychological perspective, stories like this one (maybe with less blood) tend to be quite common. Psychopaths are everywhere, they seem like regular people and they tend to be very manipulative in relationships. Many women undergo this kind of abuse, and I think it's important to emphasize that.

To sum up, do I recommend the book? Yes! Do I recommend the movie? Haven't seen it yet, but still looking forward to it. Now tell me, what are your opinions on the book?
“The holes in your life are permanent. You have to grow around them, like tree roots around concrete; you mould yourself through the gaps.” 

Post a Comment

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.