Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Saturday, June 17, 2017

la luna vita book blog harry potter

Hello there! Well, a couple of weeks ago I finished reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone for the first time ever. I still do not comprehend why I never bothered to pick up the books when I was a kid. I was fascinated by the movies but too lazy to read all of those pages. I always told myself that I would read it soon, and then time passed by. My teen years drifted away, I stepped into adulthood and I remembered that promise I made myself so many years ago. It’s better late than never, right?

While reading the book, I couldn’t help comparing it to the movie. I enjoyed learning more about the characters, the small little details and quirks that were overlooked in the films. Before, I would always wonder how each Hogwarts House differentiated itself; while Gryffindor’s and Slytherin’s attributes were obvious, there was never an explanation on Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. Now that I’m reading it, things are starting to make more sense.

Here are a few details that caught my attention:

  • The Durselys are even more obnoxious than in the movies. Uncle Vernon is literally mad. Is it a coincidence that his name sounds a lot like venom? And how can someone be so cruel to a relative?
  • Professor McGonagall has black hair, yet in the movie she has gray hair. In the book she also seems to be stricter.
  • Harry Potter meets the Weasley twins before speaking to Ron, and when they do talk, Ron already knew who he was.
  • Harry and Draco first meet while buying the school robes in Diagon Alley, but Harry never mentioned his name.
  • Hermione is not only smart, but apparently she is also very organized and sets up studying schedules, which reminded me a bit of myself.
  • The first time they meet Fluffy (the three headed dog) Neville was with them. And in general, Neville has a lot more participation in the book.

Still, I consider the film to be good. Nevertheless, “good” is not an adjective that does justice for describing this book. I finally get what the hype was all about! Anyhow, I am aware that there is a long way to go, six books to be precise. I think one of the aspects that prevented me from reading the books sooner was that I was afraid I wouldn’t like them, and my overall preference for Harry Potter would be affected. I’m glad I was wrong. To the extent that I already have my own account on PotterMore.com. My House is Gryffindor and my Expecto Patronum is a Tonkinese Cat...but I swear I’m a dog person.

Final rating: 5/5

P.S. This was more of a first impression than a review. I’m still pondering whether I should do a post for each book, let me know what you think in the comments below!

P.P.S. Today I broke my “no spoilers” rule, sorry about that.

Post a Comment

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.