Book Review: Persuasion

Saturday, February 18, 2017

La Luna Vita

I started off the year reading Persuasion by Jane Austen. It’s the second book of hers that I read, the first one was Pride & Prejudice, which I greatly enjoyed. How could you not possibly end up loving Mr. Darcy? The reason why I decided to read Persuasion was because they mentioned it repeatedly in the movie The Lake House. While watching it with my mom for like the fifth time, I became persuaded to read such a captivating romance novel.

My book reviews are always quite general, I do not like to spoil it for anyone, so don’t worry! Let’s go straight to the point: do I recommend it? Absolutely. It’s the type of book that you need to read, period. While love and relationships in the 1800s had a very different dynamic than today’s, human feelings will always remain same. What I personally enjoyed the most was the way in which the context and characters were portrayed. With Jane Austen’s writings, you can get real insights into how the common/everyday life was back then. People spoke so eloquently and politely. It’s a shame we as a society have lost that.

Persuasion’s main characters are Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth. They had met several years ago and had fallen deeply in love. However, they were too young, naive and easily influenced by others so they went separate ways. Fast forward to the present (or rather the date were the novel takes place), and due to external circumstances --or destiny, whatever you wanna call it -- they meet again. Will they continue where they left off? Or will the broken hearts be unable to mend?

I won’t tell, you’ll have to find out on your own :)

Post a Comment

© La Luna Vita . Design by FCD.